Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What makes me smile...

“Jeni, we met again as a group, and the young people are excited, and they want to form a group that meets, and we want you to come to support us, and when can we plan a day?!?!” I had reached my limit of in-the-office work today (I’ve been back in the city for a week after a long time in the communities where I work with the young people), so I made some phone calls to some coordinators in the communities to plan the meetings and workshops for this month. Before I could even tell this young woman who I was, she was already bursting at the seams to tell me about how the group of youth has been meeting and has had some good discussions and is ready to be more organized and have more activities…and so on and so on. I was recharged right away—a much-needed burst of energy to keep working on the material for the workshops we have planned, collaborating with some of the coordinators to form agendas for meetings, and finding some funds for some special events we want to do this month—all in order to get back to the communities next week.

I have to tell you a little more about the community and group of young people in the community of the girl with whom I talked. The community’s name is Copante and is the closest of 5 of our communities in the very rural area of Morazan to a bus stop. That means that every time I want to go to the other 4 communities, I walk first past this community. When I have time to stop, I do and chat with the ladies who run the little store located a stone’s throw from the school in the community or with the families working in the fields closest to the road. When I don’t have time to stop, nevertheless I know I walk by with a smile on my face remembering the special moments that I have already shared with that community, with the teeming interest of the youth in activities, discussions, and readings that will benefit them, how the women’s cooperative are working so hard to turn their 200+ chicken project into a success, and even how I ate 8 mangos in just one morning because I couldn’t say no to any of the kids who kept wrestling the mangos down from the trees to give to me.

I arrived in Copante for the first time in late February and I got the tour of the central houses and of the community’s prize project—the construction of the first church and meeting center that has ever been built in the community. When I first saw it in February, it was a heap of newly-dried adobe bricks and I remember thinking that it would be months before the project was completed, especially with the impending rains. When I returned to the community the Monday after Easter, the group of young people directed me to the new sight of the day’s activity—the new church that had been finished and inaugurated the previous day for the community’s first Easter celebration service. I could grasp a little bit of what the newly complete project meant for the community because I remembered how many times the young men had arrived at meetings with clay caked to their feet and pants up to their knees as they had spent the day making adobe bricks. I had visited house-to-house with the youth inviting new youth to the activities and answering parents’ questions and emphasizing that ALL were invited (its not important if your family is Catholic or Evangelical, FMLN or ARENA), and been able to say that our first meeting of the month would be in the newly-constructed place where ALL the community is invited.

Copante is a community of 80 homes, with between 2 and 3 families living each home. If you are standing on a nearby peak, you can seen that the expanse of the land that is Copante covers 2 and a half mountain peaks. I got to stand on that peak, because one morning last month we visited house to house half of the homes in the community and have planned to visit the other half the 15th of this month. Few of the youth there study, but the youth coordinator, a young lady named Idalia is one of the few who has continued in her studies. Each Saturday, she walks to the bus stop at 4:30am to attend school in the pueblo Caocaopera all day and returns in the night. She will finish high school in about 2 more years of this distance- Saturday-classes. Its very important that the youth meet with some consistency on there on, and have asked for some material to help them with themes for their meetings. Idalia will begin leading them through a text called “Accompanying the youth with values like Monsenor Romero” which has guides for leading reflections about themes like liberty, service, happiness, and perseverance. I just flipped to the contents page of the book sitting beside my computer here, and the first theme is “life”…a good starting point for any process of youth formation.

I want to end this reflection with an image, another one of those that makes me smile, both when I enter the community to stay a while and when I am passing by en route to another. An image that ties together my own childhood with the lives of the kids here. Its “Padre Abraham”—ring any bells? The young people of all ages LOVE the song “Padre Abraham” (“Father Abraham”) which I used to sing when I was a kid, and they think its hilarious when they sing in Spanish at the same time that I sing the song in English. Pumping our arms in the air, bobbing our heads, spinning around…all the motions “…right arm, left arm, right foot, left foot…” included.

6 comments:

RP said...

Dear Jennifer,

Your blog is really lovely and inspirational. I remember your first week in El Salvador when you arrived at CIS with your many maletas and a lot less Spanish. What remarkable things you have accomplished! I can see very easily through your writing what a rich life you have built for yourself there.

Espero que continues trabajando con persistencia y pasion por la justicia, y disfrutes este tiempo tan especial de tu vida.

Rebecca P.

Unknown said...

Jen,

i was just thinking the other day that it had been a while since i had heard from you-and then this. thank you for sharing and for the update-i definitey grinned thinking of you dancing with the children to "Pere Ibrahim" (french version?)- and i am glad that the church/community center has been built. i'm excited to see how the community meetings go!

Love to you,

Molly

Unknown said...

*Jenn :)

how could i forget?

or-is it Jeni now?

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer:
Your new blog was very inspiring and it makes me remember your goals and eveything you are accomplishing. I can hear the enthusiasm and joy that you are sharing with the kids. It amazes me how you have gotten the different groups involved and interested. You have to remember that there is just one of you and that you can be only one place at a time (although you would like to be and the kids would like you there all the time.) You know my prayer is for God to give you strength, faith and courage to face each day. I am so very proud of you. I am glad you are my daughter. A week from tomorrow Jeremy will be on his way to see you. Thanks for calling me today on Mother's Day.
You are in my prayers.
I love you!
Mom
P.S. I can see you and Jeremy singing "Father Abraham" when you two were in the kids choir at church. What good memories!

Dad said...

El Salvador has a lot of the problems of a typical third world country. From your blogs and what you have told me, I get the idea that there is not a wide spread system of government sponsored schools. Such a system would do much to improve the conditions in El Salvador. I hope the new government coming to power is sensitive to the problem and will do something about it. In the meantime, caring people such as your self will continue to labor to improve conditions in El Salvador. As mom says, we are so proud of you for helping Salvadorians.

Love,
Dad

Jennifer said...

Mom, Dad, Rebecca, and Molly: Thanks for all your encouragements and your interest and for the special effort to post a response and let me know what touches you in some way about what I write. I miss you guys, but I can hear each of you in what you have written me!! Love You!