Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas

I have a little surprise for everyone. Ready? OK, so I have been able to come home to North Carolina for Christmas. I arrived this weekend and will be spending time with family and friends here until I leave to return to El Salvador on January 7. A lot of things had to work out to make this Christmas vacation possible: time, resources, etc. So, with all that in mind, its easy to recognize this time as a blessing. Already, I've spent some fun and meaningful time with my extended family in Pigeon Fordge, Tennessee, listened to Christmas carols and read the Christmas cards with my parents, and played Guitar Hero :-) with my brother.

I will post again when I get back to El Salvador in January. In the meantime, if any one of those others of you who are usually away is going to be in Western NC during these 2 weeks, let me know and we can hang out.

Anyways, whereever you are and whatever you are doing on this Christmas Eve-Eve (with the minutes ticking on to Christmas Eve), all the blessings of hope, peace, and love to you. And may we face each day of the Christmas season ever combatting consumerism with compassion (thanks Danny for these words that express this desire so tactfully). My Christmas thougths recently have dwelled on what it means for followers of Christ today that we believe in a God that, a long time ago, decided to come and live with us on earth for a while ("gunky" though the world is sometimes) to do what he did, teach what he did, hang out with who he did, and "end" his life like he did.

And on the note of reflecting on what Christmas means for us today, I want to leave you with the chorus of the Christmas song, "Navidad en Libertad" (Christmas in Liberty" by Carlos Godoy of Nicaragua), that became really meaningful to me as I sang it with others from FUNDAHMER and in the communities last week in El Salvador. Jesus, born to ever give us HOPE to work for dignity and abundant life for everyone.

Feliz Navidad, feliz Navidad,
en justicia y libertad.
Feliz Navidad, un montón mejor
sin miseria ní opresión.

Merry Christmas, merry Christmas,
in justice and liberty.
Merry Christmas, a world so much better
without misery or oppression.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI:
NEEDLESS TO SAY YOUR COMING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS WAS ONE OF THE BEST SURPRISES I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE. HAVING ALL OF MY FAMILY HOME FOR CHRISTMAS WAS THE GREATEST GIFT I COULD HAVE RECEIVED. SEEING YOU COME THROUGH THAT DOOR AT THE AIRPORT WAS A GIFT FROM GOD. WE HAVE BEEN SO BLESSED. THANK YOU GOD FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME AND MY FAMILY. I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS.
I LOVE YOU!
MOM

Terry B said...

Welcome home, it was sure a blessing to see you. Enjoy your time with your family.

Terry

Anonymous said...

I AM SO GLAD AND THANKFUL YOU HAD A SAFE TRIP BACK YESTERDAY TO EL SALVADOR AND THAT IT ALL WORKED OUT FOR YOU TO GET BACK TO FUNDAMEIR LAST NIGHT. GOD HAS HAD A HAND IN YOUR GETTING TO COME HOME FOR CHRISTMAS AND YOUR RETURN BACK TO EL SALVADOR. HOPE YOU ENJOYED BEING HOME AS MUCH AS WE ENJOYED YOUR BEING HERE. HAVING ALL OF US HERE MADE CHRISTMAS.WE SURE HAVE MISSED HAVING YOU AROUND HERE TODAY, BUT I KNOW YOU ARE DOING WHAT GOD WANTS YOU TO BE DOING RIGHT NOW. YOU HAVE A LOT TO OFFER. KEEP YOUR COURAGE AND FAITH AND BE SAFE AND STAY HEALTHY. YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS.
I LOVE YOU!
MOM