Saturday, October 11, 2008

Church, Romero, and Hospital: all in a Saturday morning

I just had a meaningful experience that I want to tell you about. It’s Saturday, and I spent the morning in a hospital—but wait a minute, before you get worried, let me first let me clarify that I wasn’t sick or hurt!!! (I am SO thankful that I have not been sick yet at all!) This morning I went (actually the pastor picked me up) with a group from the church where I have been going to spend some hours in the hospital where Archbishop Oscar Romero was shot in 1980 (Romero was shot in the chapel of this hospital). First about the church, and then about the hospital. Last week, when I asked for a recommendation for a church that is active in working with the poor and marginalized and for abundant life and peace, a reliable source recommended this particular one. Fortunately, Cristy, one of the full-time workers at CIS goes to this church, so it was easy enough to find the time and place. I arrived on Sunday and was immediately welcomed and I sat during the service with Cristy’s mother, Cristina. Although the details of the message were difficult for me to understand in Spanish, the pastor talked about the verses in Matthew that talks about our good works being our fruits and used the illustration of the milpas (fields) that are so prevalent here in El Salvador. After church, Cristina invited me to her home for lunch, and I had a great time there with her daughters and their families. I felt really welcome, and even helped her granddaughters with a school project. On Wednesday evening, I went with Cristy to a small group that is kind of like what I call a discipleship group. We read a Scripture and discussed its relevance to the situation today in our own lives, in El Salvador, and in the world. We sang, shared the blessings of the last week, and shared prayers.

Today was both a blessing and a challenge. The hospital specializes in care for cancer patients and our group worked in the 2 areas with the most ill patients. The patients ranged from a thirteen year old to a woman who celebrated her 86th birthday on Thursday. During our time this morning, we spent time listening to and accompanying the dying patients. Part of that involved bathing the men and women, changing their bed linens, and involving them and their families in fun little activities. More important and also more difficult, however, was our presence to listen and talk. I’ve done this type of thing before, and today was especially profound for several reasons: First, I was taken aback by the sheer severity of the conditions of the patients and their loved one’s attention to them. One elderly grandmother had wasted away to practically nothing, but her daughter spent at least an hour and a half trying to spoon a couple spoonfuls of soup into her mouth. Secondly, today I leaned over the same beds that Romero did 30 years ago. For someone who aspires to do justice, love, and walk humbly with God and God’s people, Romero and his work are inspirational. Another important part of my experience today was the youth I was with. Our group consisted of nine youth and some other adult leaders. High schoolers spending their Saturday mornings cleaning the waste of sick people and sitting and talking with them—how often does that happen? Finally, I was once again affected by the language barrier. It’s somewhat uncomfortable to do the important work of listening to people who are dying and to their relatives, but its made even more uncomfortable when you have to try to do it in a language you are only just learning. I came home today having experienced an institution doing a great work, some young people doing great service, and some of the most profound family commitment that exists. I was reminded to think about and do what is most important and meaningful.

4 comments:

Dad said...

HEY:
I ENJOYED YOUR BLOG ABOUT VISITING THE HOSPITAL TODAY. REMEMBER AS A NURSE YOU OFTEN RECEIVE MORE THAN YOU ARE ABLE TO GIVE. BUT I AM SURE THAT THE PATIENTS(EVEN IF THEY COULD NOT UNDERSTAND YOU) REALIZED YOU WERE THERE TO COMFORT THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES AND KNEW YOUR LOVE FOR PEOPLE. I AM SURE YOU WERE A BLESSING TO THEM.
BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS....
DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED,
FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD
WILL BEOWITH YOU
WHEREVER YOU GO.

I LOVE YOU!
MOM

Unknown said...

Jen. It has been great reading up on your time in El Salvador, and I thank you for sharing it. The retreat center certainly was beautiful. I can't imagine feeding a relative that is wasting away like the daughter you described, but it really is a powerful image to remember and put things into perspective.

I can just imagine you in the church services and working on the school projects with Cristina's (?) daughters. I am so glad that you feel welcomed there-and I certainly know how special it is to feel invited in when everything is new and the language is different. It is a beautiful, but trying and sometimes exasperation and painful transition, but I know you will-and are doing so well there.

I love you!
So... now that you have a phone. We gonna chat?

p.s. Tell Angel I say hello and am sending blessings her way. I am so grateful for her work with sustainable agriculture. You are both affecting many-even though you may feel you are being way more affected by them.

Sandy said...

Jennifer: Sorry for being so long to contact you, but better late than never. Reading about your time at the hospital was very heartwarming for me. You go girl! I love the pictures. I am so proud of you.
Love,
Sandy Ledford

Jennifer said...

Thanks Mom, Molly, and Sandy for your comments! Sometimes it is difficult to share feelings and personal thoughts in a somewhat public way like this. But your responses and thoughts remind me that the people closest to me are reading them and that it is a special way to connect. Thanks for all your encouragement!