Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I´m Here!

Safely in San Salvador, El Salvador and already found internet access-what about that? I arrived with my suitcases weighing 49.5 lbs and 49 lbs (the limit was 50 :-) ), and as soon as I walked around in the San Salvador airport, I had that de ja vu feeling of having been there before. I realized that while on study abroad in Latin America in spring 2006, my group and I flew from San Salvador (the airport I arrived in yesterday) to Nicaragua, so I had indeed been in the airport before. I waited outside the airport for a few minutes until I heard someone call "Jennifer"--that someone was a welcome face: my friend from Furman, Angel, who has been working with FUNDAHMER (the organization I will begin working for officially in November after language school) since early August. She and Armando, the director of FUNDAHMER, picked me and my many pounds of luggage up and we drove to the FUNDAHMER office, where I have been since then--including sleeping last night.

In addition to Angel, Betsy and Julia from VMM (who I met during my VMM training in May in Wisconsin) were welcome faces as were other American volunteers and missioners (who will become great friends, but for the time being I am just happy that they speak English or at least speak slower Spanish). Although I don't officially start language training (at a school) until Tuesday of next week, as early as my time sitting waiting to board the plane to El Salvador, I have been learning (and relearning) Spanish. I am fortunate because I have known and used a lot of the language in the past (in high school and college classes and in Latin America), so it will come back to me with practice. I can hold my own in some conversations, but there have been some funny moments like when I asked a 45-year-old whether she has a novia (which means girlfriend) when I actually meant to ask about her husband (I got both the gender and the spouse vs. dating idea wrong).

The FUNDAHMER office is in a good location in that it is in a safe community on the edge of San Salvador and that it is located next to the UCA (Central American University) and so far I have found that it has good restaurants nearby. My first meal was pupusas (which is THE authentic food of El Salvador), which are thick tortillas filled with whatever goodness you request (cheese, beans, chicken, sausage, etc). Late last evening, Armando, Betsy, Julia, and I discussed my work, where I will live, a reasonable budget, the living stipend I will receive, and any other questions I had. I get the general feeling that people are really caring about my well-being (everything from my safety to my having an enjoyable time). Several of the other volunteers have commented that Armando is a caring-Grandfather-like person.

Right now, I am sitting using my laptop in the FUNDAHMER office because they have wireless internet and a "conference room" with tables. In the morning, I will travel with several others to the location of out weekend retreat (a 12 hour trip, 5:30am to 5:30pm). Thanks to everyone who remembered me as I traveled yesterday--all is safe and good.

4 comments:

Donna said...

YAY! I am so thankful that you arrived without event! What a great adventure you are starting. I am praying for you.
Donna

Sgilbert said...

So glad that you made it safely! You are in my thoughts and prayers all the time!!! I hope you enjoy your weekend retreat!! I am praying for you and love you!!! :)

Terry B said...

Glad to see that you made it safe and sound. It appears that your luggage made it was well. That in its own right is a blessing.

Have a good time, stay safe, and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Terry

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
It's great to hear that you arrived safe and your finally there. I love the fact that you have a blog just so we can come on this journey with you!!! How cool is that?!
I hope you have a great retreat this weekend, can't wait to hear all about it!!
Love you...praying too :)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/sawyerdt